Monday, January 11, 2010

Been in the south now for 2 1/2 years. We chose Raleigh because we had friends here already, I wasn't going to go anywhere where I had no support system. Raleigh is halfway between Philly and Knoxville, where most of our family lives. It was closer to our beach house by 3 hours. So all good stuff.
We still struggle, my husband and I, with our decision to leave the Philadelphia area. I feel strongly that I needed to see if I could do it. I never left that area from birth to the age of 37, other than traveling. My family is all there. I felt even though we were leaving my mom, a huge part of the kids' lives, that it would be better for them in the long run.

The kids are happy in NC. The air is cleaner, the earth is cleaner, we have made incredible friends, the weather (not at the moment though) is great. We love the kids' school, now. I think I have adjusted quite well.

We were in Philly last week, and all these feelings come up. My family all seem to be doing well, visited with some great friends, kids had a great time with the grandparents...
We see each other a lot, my mom and I, and the kids, I mean at least 4 times a year. When I am in Philly, I miss it terribly, my mom's house is so cozy, the kids are so spoiled by their time together. The city has so much to offer, everything is convenient, the rolls are better, friends are abundant. This place made me who I am, like it or not.

But the longer I am in Philly, the more I realize why we left the area. Everything seemed so dirty to me. I think that had a lot to do with it being January and freezing, but the highways, the sidewalks...there seemed to be trash everywhere. The smells of the industry, the noise of the airport, the trains, the traffic all pulsed with negativity.

We may move back someday.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the last part of your post:
    "The smells of the industry, the noise of the airport, the trains, the traffic all pulsed with negativity.

    We may move back someday."

    These two statements would probably seem to be contradictory to anyone who doesn't live here and know exactly what you mean. LOL

    ReplyDelete